About Castle Eaton
Castle Eaton is a village and civil parish in England, on the River Thames about 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Highworth. It was historically in Wiltshire but since 1997 has been part of Swindon unitary authority.
The Thames at Castle Eaton forms both the northern boundary of the parish and the county boundary with Gloucestershire.
The village is characterised by its older buildings most of which are in The Street, the original main thoroughfare. Built of local stone, these buildings give Castle Eaton the look and feel of a traditional Cotswold village. Many of the buildings date from about 1650 to 1850, and Swindon Council has made this part of the village a Conservation Area to protect its historical and architectural importance.
The village has a public house, the Red Lion. It claims to be first public house on the River Thames after leaving its source at Thames Head in the Cotswolds.